Continues from Part 2.
New pair of clay prototype feet, made out of Super Sculpey Living Doll Polymer Clay, baked.
Hard mold out of Ultracal 30, lego molding box.
Please see Part 2 on details about hard mold and armature.
The C-clamps have arrived and work great.
I tried 2 different strategies to make different color parts of these feet.
This one worked pretty well.
This one – walling off parts of the mold with plasteline. As I was working on it, I had another idea how to get this done – will try later.
The parts were colored intrinsically – meaning a pigment (acrylic paints in this case) mixed into the silicone prior to pouring.
Some of the details were brush-painted. There are two drawbacks to brush-painting silicone – shiny plasticky finish and uneven surface.
I did some research and I bought a product which, I hope, will help with both problems – NOVOCS Matte Silicone Solvent.
It promises to make silicone very thin and runny and supposed to leave a matte surface. Will report when I try it.
Meanwhile, I am managing with what I have. Folks on internet say that the following things make silicone matte: powdered sugar and cornstarch. I did not have either of those, so I tried baking soda. Also works.
Shoe laces with a big-eye needle.
Next – head with a flexible face and with opening mouth!
Wish me luck.
Continues on Part 4.