Continues from Part 2
Morezmore OOAK Doll #29
Scale: 1/6, Size: 11.5″ (29 cm)
Part 3: Hands & Feet
Tools and materials: please see Part 2
018. Trying something new to address the following problems regarding sculpting hands:
First problem: the hands in this scale are small and hard to sculpt, because the clay fingers are very small and delicate and my fingers are very big and clumsy;
Second problem: Even if after all the painful work I manage to make pretty hands, they are very fragile – the fingers break off.
Some kind of “hand armature” would be helpful. Here is the solution that I hope will work:
And these are, as you might have guessed, the bones for the feet (something to hold on to and something to add clay to – while sculpting feet. Those are no easier than the hands as far as I am concerned.
019. Well, the results are in. The method by itself works well, but need improvement as far as the cotton thread is concerned.
Pros: The cotton thread “bones” provide good support, the clay stays well on the cotton thread, making it much easier to sculpt. You can move the fingers by the long tips in and out of the way as you need them. Overall – I am very pleased with the method.
Cons: Cotton thread does not provide enough posability because it tends to straighten out. I would bend the finger and find it straight again after a few seconds. In other words, works for open hand, will not work for a fist.
Conclusion: Ok for open hand, but for posed hands and fists – wire is needed. The trouble with wire – the clay slides off the smooth wire surface. What I would need ideally – cotton thread with thin wire inside. So I went online searching. Guess what – this product exists. I found 2 types of wire covered with cotton and purchased some to try. When it arrives – hopefully by middle of next week, I will test it. If it works, I will write good instructions and make it available at Morezmore.
I did finish one hand with cotton thread and even baked it – just to complete the experiment. Here are the pictures. I was not very interested in making the hand look excellent – I will make another pair later for my doll, but you will get the idea.
The little helper tools are made from wire set into old wooden macrame beads, set with magic sculpt, with magnets at the bottom.
020. The feet are done. Also, for feet I made another little helper tool – wire set into an old wooden macrame bead, set with magic sculpt epoxy, with a magnet on top. Firstly, this tool allows sculpting two feet at the same time side by side. Secondly, I find it helpful to see the feet in as they would look on the doll in the future. And lastly – the helper tool can go from sculpting table to the oven.
The cotton-covered wire arrived and I made the pair of hands and wrote the step-by-step post about it.
Here it is:
Cotton-Wire Hand Armature for OOAK Doll
Continues on Part 4